Welcome. Thanks for stopping by. If this is your first visit, I am certain you will like my recipes and return for more. If you have been here before, I am glad that you are back. I strive to develop interesting content for you, my readers, without whom this blog would serve no purpose. The recipes I present here are selected with you in mind; these are the recipes for the foods that I have enjoyed all my life and that I would like to share with you. So read on and enjoy My Cuban Recipes in good health, and feel free to comment on any of the content posted here.
Escape the heat and humidity of a sultry Florida spring day by inviting good friends over for lunch and preparing for them a sumptuous meal sure to titillate your hungry guests. They won’t soon forget your chicken fricassee. That’s a promise.
- An entire chicken in parts (serves 4 – 6)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 – 5 garlic cloves
- 7 oz can of whole red pimientos
- ground cumin
- Golden cooking wine
- A bottle of McCormick Perfect Pinch (original chicken)
- tomato sauce
- olives stuffed with red pimientos
- bay leaves
- coarse kosher salt
Cooking Instructions: Part I
- Defrost chicken and rinse with water.
- Separate into parts and remove all skin to cut down on fat content. In addition, remove any innards or viscera.
- Rinse chicken anew with hot water.
- Cut breast into several smaller pieces.
Cleaned chicken parts.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slits into bigger pieces to allow seasoning to penetrate.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add salt to taste.
- Pour ¾ of a cup of cooking wine over the chicken and sprinkle ground cumin. Do a salt taste.
- Set chicken aside for now to allow it to absorb seasoning.
Chicken in cooking wine.
Preparation of seasoning or sofrito
- Peel medium onion and rinse with water. Chop onion and place in electric chopper.
- Slightly crush 4 – 5 garlic cloves with kitchen hammer to remove peel and release flavor.
- Cut garlic cloves into smaller pieces and place together with chopped onion in electric chopper to mince.
- In a large cooking pot, place 3 – 4 tablespoons of cooking oil and heat at medium heat.
- Place minced garlic and onion in the pot and sauté.
- Cut 3 ½ oz of red pimientos into smaller pieces and mince in electric chopper.
- Add 3 – 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce to the seasoning. Add minced pimientos and sauté.
- For additional flavor, sprinkle McCormick Perfect Pinch original chicken condiment.
Cooking Instructions: Part II
- When the seasoning is ready, place the chicken in the pot with the seasoning, and stir. Add a bay leaf.
Seasoned chicken begins to cook.
- Cover pot and let chicken simmer for about an hour or until chicken is tender.
- After 15 minutes or so, add a cup of plain water, 8 – 10 olives, and do a salt taste.
- Let chicken simmer for the remainder of the time.
- After and hour, chicken should be done.
Chicken fricassee after 1 hour.
- Let simmer at low heat for an additional 20 -25 minutes to allow chicken to dry a little.
Chicken fricassee is ready to serve.
- Serve on a bed of white rice with your favorite salad.
Chicken fricassee served on a bed of rice.
If you have never tried this delicious dessert, you are in for a real treat. Before setting off to work on it, however, make sure you have good vanilla extract at home, because it is a key ingredient of this wonderful bread pudding recipe. Enjoy!
- 20 oz package of plain white bread in slices
- good vanilla extract
- two 12 oz cans of evaporated milk
- white sugar
- sliced almonds
- Bread pudding recipe requires at least 2/3 of the package of sliced bread. Remove most of the crust and cut slices into smaller pieces. Place the bread in a large bowl.
Cut slices of plain white bread.
- Pour 1 can of evaporated milk into the bowl containing the bread. Manually crush the bread until it is soft. Add more evaporated milk, as necessary.
- Mix in ¼ cup of butter and add ½ tsp of vanilla extract.
Manually crushed bread, with butter and vanilla extract.
- Beat two eggs by hand and place in the bowl with the bread pudding mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Add ½ cup of white sugar, and taste mixture. Add more sugar, if necessary.
- Place the bread pudding mixture in the blender. Use the puree setting for best results.
- Transfer pureed mixture to a bowl and add raisins. I prefer golden raisins.
Pureed bread pudding mixture with raisins.
- Spread butter throughout the inside of a glass baking dish.
- Pour bread pudding mixture into the baking dish. Use a wooden spoon to evenly distribute raisings. Top off with sliced almonds.
Bread pudding mixture in baking dish, topped off with sliced almonds.
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and bake bread pudding for 40 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the bread pudding emerges complete dry.
Bread pudding hot from the oven.
- Let bread pudding cool before serving. Once it has cooled, use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
When you are pressed for time, a little recipe I know will bail you out every time, and you do not have to tell anyone how little time it took to prepare your pork chops or chuletas de puerco. They’ll just assume that you spent a long time slaving over the stove just to satisfy their taste buds. Let them.
- 15 oz package of Hormel thin cut, bone-in, smoked pork chops (serves 2 – 3)
15 oz package of Hormel pork chops.
- Thoroughly rinse pork chops with water.
- If desired, remove the fat along the edge of the pork chops with a sharp knife.
Pork chops before frying.
- Place 1 – 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a frying pan and heat oil at medium heat.
- Place pork chops in frying pan and cook until golden brown. Flip pork chops over often to brown evenly.
Evenly browned pork chops.
- When the pork chops are almost ready, place a generous amount of thinly sliced onions over them and finish cooking.
Cooked pork chops with onions.
- Take the pork chops out of the frying pan and place them on a plate. Pour a small amount of plain water into the frying pan, swirl, and pour the juice over the pork chops.
Pork chops ready to eat.
- Serve with white rice and black beans and boiled potatoes.
Serve pork chops with rice and black beans.