Escape the heat and humidity of a sultry Florida spring day by inviting good friends over for lunch and preparing for them a sumptuous meal sure to titillate your hungry guests. They won’t soon forget your chicken fricassee. That’s a promise.
- An entire chicken in parts (serves 4 – 6)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 – 5 garlic cloves
- 7 oz can of whole red pimientos
- ground cumin
- Golden cooking wine
- A bottle of McCormick Perfect Pinch (original chicken)
- tomato sauce
- olives stuffed with red pimientos
- bay leaves
- coarse kosher salt
Cooking Instructions: Part I
- Defrost chicken and rinse with water.
- Separate into parts and remove all skin to cut down on fat content. In addition, remove any innards or viscera.
- Rinse chicken anew with hot water.
- Cut breast into several smaller pieces.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slits into bigger pieces to allow seasoning to penetrate.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add salt to taste.
- Pour ¾ of a cup of cooking wine over the chicken and sprinkle ground cumin. Do a salt taste.
- Set chicken aside for now to allow it to absorb seasoning.
Preparation of seasoning or sofrito
- Peel medium onion and rinse with water. Chop onion and place in electric chopper.
- Slightly crush 4 – 5 garlic cloves with kitchen hammer to remove peel and release flavor.
- Cut garlic cloves into smaller pieces and place together with chopped onion in electric chopper to mince.
- In a large cooking pot, place 3 – 4 tablespoons of cooking oil and heat at medium heat.
- Place minced garlic and onion in the pot and sauté.
- Cut 3 ½ oz of red pimientos into smaller pieces and mince in electric chopper.
- Add 3 – 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce to the seasoning. Add minced pimientos and sauté.
- For additional flavor, sprinkle McCormick Perfect Pinch original chicken condiment.
Cooking Instructions: Part II
- When the seasoning is ready, place the chicken in the pot with the seasoning, and stir. Add a bay leaf.
- Cover pot and let chicken simmer for about an hour or until chicken is tender.
- After 15 minutes or so, add a cup of plain water, 8 – 10 olives, and do a salt taste.
- Let chicken simmer for the remainder of the time.
- After and hour, chicken should be done.
- Let simmer at low heat for an additional 20 -25 minutes to allow chicken to dry a little.
- Serve on a bed of white rice with your favorite salad.